I really like this approach, Khadija. I've always loved collage.
I'm going to be collecting more stories during the first two weeks of the semester so if anyone wants to try to use collage to illustrate a story, let me know!
Very nice... these are quite beautiful. I like the illustrative graphic quality of these. Perhaps some of the illustrations could incorporate some of the stylistic qualities. Also, the collage is wonderful. Collage takes away the 'reality' of an image and makes it a bit more abstract and open to interpretation and imagination, which I think works will with storytelling, especially for children.
All the illustrators should remember that the audience usually doesn't need to see an entire object or a clear visual to understand that object. An entire forest could be creating in one's imagination by just seeing one abstract branch or leaf. Combining images creates a level of visual complexity which acts as a good narrative device.
I posted this research in response to Mariam's last storyboard. I Think she can still incorporate these ideas in her illustration.
I am copy-pasting my comments on her storyboard here:
The story board drawing looks really good and i agree with Patty about the cartoonish violence. This story reminds me of the tale i read in my childhood "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" As for the story board, I have few comments. I really like the exaggeration of sizes like the boiling hot water pot, the bottle of spices, closeups of the facial expressions of the witch. I feel it gives us good enough empty spaces in the object itself for the typography to be played in. Furthermore I like the bleeding of the images and exaggeration of sound coming by actually drawing soundwaves. However it will be nice to experiment some compositions fitting within a solid shape for example circle - harmony, balance. Also, giving some compositions more foreground space to feel a distance has been achieved. Like for example in the story when hadeedo runs to the melon farm. The setting or the the surrounding of each character can also help for the character development. For example the witch in Hansel and Gretel lived in a chocolate/candy house to attract children. In my opinion, the character development of hadeed hadeedo should be entirely innocent looking as this is how it is intended to be from the starting, Though it is pretty startling to read the end. But since we are trying to portray hadeedo as good and witch as evil, so even though not mentioned in the story but the the witch had always tried to be evil. She did not do any harm but she always intended to. On the other hand Hadeedo is the one who teaches her the moral and shows that good wins at the end. This concept of being surrounded by evil and good deeds saving your life at the end is present in Islam. Similar to the Three Billy goat Gruff...even though the goat killed the troll at the end, I personally never considered the goat to be the evil...i considered him more like a hero. Just a question regarding the character development for the witch: Wasn't the batula, the witch is wearing associated with the grandmothers and old ladies...so does this add to the the children's thinking that a woman wearing batula is a witch? Is there something more we could add to make the witch look more like someone evil. For example western stories the witch wears black however it wont work here because black is an Abaya in Arab culture. I also have one suggestion like doing some collage with different textures that could add meaning. For example the roughness could be for evil and soft smooth for Hadeedo. Also a different feel could be added to the compositions like scanning actually hand sewn sack material, rough cut opening to show when the melon opened. if not with the images, we can also explore the sewing part with type. I will upload some images i came across. Good luck :)
4 comments:
I really like this approach, Khadija. I've always loved collage.
I'm going to be collecting more stories during the first two weeks of the semester so if anyone wants to try to use collage to illustrate a story, let me know!
Very nice... these are quite beautiful. I like the illustrative graphic quality of these. Perhaps some of the illustrations could incorporate some of the stylistic qualities. Also, the collage is wonderful. Collage takes away the 'reality' of an image and makes it a bit more abstract and open to interpretation and imagination, which I think works will with storytelling, especially for children.
All the illustrators should remember that the audience usually doesn't need to see an entire object or a clear visual to understand that object. An entire forest could be creating in one's imagination by just seeing one abstract branch or leaf. Combining images creates a level of visual complexity which acts as a good narrative device.
I posted this research in response to Mariam's last storyboard. I Think she can still incorporate these ideas in her illustration.
I am copy-pasting my comments on her storyboard here:
The story board drawing looks really good and i agree with Patty about the cartoonish violence.
This story reminds me of the tale i read in my childhood "The Three Billy Goats Gruff"
As for the story board, I have few comments.
I really like the exaggeration of sizes like the boiling hot water pot, the bottle of spices, closeups of the facial expressions of the witch. I feel it gives us good enough empty spaces in the object itself for the typography to be played in. Furthermore I like the bleeding of the images and exaggeration of sound coming by actually drawing soundwaves. However it will be nice to experiment some compositions fitting within a solid shape for example circle - harmony, balance. Also, giving some compositions more foreground space to feel a distance has been achieved. Like for example in the story when hadeedo runs to the melon farm. The setting or the the surrounding of each character can also help for the character development. For example the witch in Hansel and Gretel lived in a chocolate/candy house to attract children. In my opinion, the character development of hadeed hadeedo should be entirely innocent looking as this is how it is intended to be from the starting, Though it is pretty startling to read the end. But since we are trying to portray hadeedo as good and witch as evil, so even though not mentioned in the story but the the witch had always tried to be evil. She did not do any harm but she always intended to. On the other hand Hadeedo is the one who teaches her the moral and shows that good wins at the end. This concept of being surrounded by evil and good deeds saving your life at the end is present in Islam.
Similar to the Three Billy goat Gruff...even though the goat killed the troll at the end, I personally never considered the goat to be the evil...i considered him more like a hero.
Just a question regarding the character development for the witch: Wasn't the batula, the witch is wearing associated with the grandmothers and old ladies...so does this add to the the children's thinking that a woman wearing batula is a witch? Is there something more we could add to make the witch look more like someone evil. For example western stories the witch wears black however it wont work here because black is an Abaya in Arab culture.
I also have one suggestion like doing some collage with different textures that could add meaning. For example the roughness could be for evil and soft smooth for Hadeedo.
Also a different feel could be added to the compositions like scanning actually hand sewn sack material, rough cut opening to show when the melon opened. if not with the images, we can also explore the sewing part with type. I will upload some images i came across.
Good luck :)
The magic trees illustration have given me an idea for illustrating the background in particular. So great, thanks for sharing these khads!
Post a Comment