Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Abdulla's Latest Work-Jouha Counting the Donkeys

Here are some samples of Abdulla's latest work. He is done with his story, and will begin coloring.

These images were created from screen shots so they're not the highest quality, but I think you can get a good sense of what Abdulla is doing in terms of telling his story sequentially. He has varied his panel size and type to match the action of the story, and he makes good use of exaggeration and facial expression.




2 comments:

Mariam AS said...

Hi Abdulla, loving your work so far. Few things to suggest off the bat though, consider your text a bit more. I think you can be a bit more playful and emotive with the language and punctuation to match the characters and their actions. Also, what would it be like if you incorporated some Arabic - basic things like instead of when Jouha says let's go to the donkey, why not yalla? I think small phrases like that are common enough to be familiar to a wide audience, while contributing to these stories being folktales told in Qatar and the gulf.

Best!

Jesse Ulmer said...

Excellent work, Abdulla. I love the way you render character, especially in how you capture comic facial expressions.

I second Mariam's idea of incorporating generally well-known Arabic phrases/words like yalla. Great idea.