Thursday, August 4, 2011





Hi guys, here are some of the WIP's. I'm trying to work page by page, so setting up a series of panels together.

Looking at them now, they need to have a lot more depth in the color. I'd like to work in greater contrast in light and dark, adding a bit more of a darker edge to them at certain times to make them appear more devious or cunning.

Definitely planning on redoing the first shot of Hadeedo (I was testing if I could make itlook like the witch opened the door and cast light on Hadeedo, not very successful so far.) Also, the in the image of the witch shining her teeth and hadeedo throwing the sack in to the fire, I realized that I had given the witch too much cheek so I need to redo that. Also, the ground is a bit wonky so it needs repainting regardless. For the images that don't have backgrounds yet, I'm planning on incorporating them later via photoshop. (I'm too scared to finish the whole backgrounds by hand in one image :S!)

6 comments:

Mariam AS said...

You know, now that I think of it...I almost don't want the witch to look evil, almost as if she's sort of perpetually foolish and never able to amount to her evil intentions...

What do you think?

I'd like to add fangs to her though..

Patty said...

I think your instinct is a good one. I like the witch as more foolish than purely evil. This falls in line with the comment I just made on the previous post, about humor. : )

Your work is looking really good, Mariam. You're clearly working hard, and you seem to be having fun, too!

Jesse Ulmer said...

Might be a bit tricky to reconcile a foolish aspect with the image of the sharp teeth, though perhaps there is an easy way to reconcile this problem. Just a thought.

Jesse Ulmer said...

I forgot to add: I second Patty's comments. The work is looking really good, and it is clear that you are up to the challenge.

Patty said...

I'll have more comments on what you posted, but a quick comment I wanted to make is that you are really doing a great job with rendering eyes. I was watching an interview with Seth McFarlane today (Family Guy, American Dad) and he was talking about how important it is in comics and animation to exaggerate the size of the eye if you want the characters to be likable/engaging.

This is from Candace Seu's essay about drawing anime:

"So why do most animation styles use those large eyes? To use a cliche: eyes are the 'windows to the soul'. Many emotions are strongly dependent on the eyes for intensity and sincerity of expression - a fake smile may differ from a real one only by the little crinkles in the corner of someone's eye, but the feeling is a world of difference. By emphasizing a character's eyes, an artist can recreate an expression or emotion with much more ease.

Another explanation is that large eyes are used simply because they are considered more attractive than smaller ones.

Eyes and Characterization

In some shows, large eyes ostensibly suggest innocence and 'openness of heart' - we can surely see that all of their thoughts are laden with good intentions. For example, all of the 'good' characters on Sailor Moon sport large eyes, while the 'bad' or more serious characters have much smaller ones. Compare Kenshin Himura's eyes when he's lovable 'Hit Me!' Kenshin and when he's in assassin mode. The difference makes the change in mindset and the fight scenes much more dramatic, reminding us of a troubling past."

I think giving the witch large eyes in particular helps to lessen her evil aspects and heighten her foolishness/naivete.

Mariam AS said...

Thanks very much for the input and all the encouragement guys!

I've reworked her a little already so I'll show you more by the end of the week :D (So far she's got a fang and one black tooth now, and they've made a world of difference!)

Best :D