Hello Layout Team.
I've been traveling a lot this summer, but checking in on the blog from time to time. I've also been reading through recent activity on the blog and emails. How is everything going? Felicity mentioned the idea of pairing illustrators with layout designers. Did this happen yet? Before I left for the summer I worked with the layout team to develop guidelines for layout and grid systems. The system was very flexible, but provided enough structure for consistent layouts. However, many design elements were not resolved... typography, page number systems, titles, etc. I think the design for these elements will emerge as the layout team starts to actually design the sections.
Have we lost anyone from the layout team? Added anyone? Is everyone working remotely and using dropbox?
If you have immediate questions, I will check in on the blog and email over the next few days. From August 8th until the 20st I will not be in touch since I will be in many remote areas without access to the web. I will be back in Doha on August 21st attending meetings, however, I should be able to answer questions and/or meet with anyone as needed.
Jesse and Patty, if any layout/design related questions come your way, please feel free to direct them toward me and I can help out. I noticed we have some deadlines approaching, so I want to make sure we are all on track. I prefer to help direct and answer questions, but if needed I can help with the actual layout of pages as well.
Thanks all.
3 comments:
Hey Michael.
No further development on page numbering, titles etc. Perhaps as we start working together in pairs some ideas will come to the fore.
Zoe and I have paired up to work. Not sure about the others. I know we have a lot more illustrators than we have layout team members, so hopefully if we each start on one story (one pair) we can complete them one at a time as we progress, rather than trying to do multiple stories at once.
Khadija and Mariam are working together, and Nawar and Mashaer have been working with Wafaa. It would be great to hear from Mashaer and Nawar on the blog. If either Nawar or Mashaer could link up with another artist, that would be great.
We do have more artists than layer outers-we'll have to gauge the work load, and see if a layout person can work with more than one artist. It seems that all the artists are in different phases of completion, so it might be possible to stagger the lay out work.
Lay out is a bit of an unknown at this point since we haven't done it yet. Once we do the layout for one story, we should have a general sense of what's involved-allowing for the difference in artist's styles, of course, Abdulla's story may be less time consuming to layout than say, Zoe's (I don't know, just using these as examples).
Patty I agree. I think the amount of work involved in laying out a story will vary greatly depending on the artists style. If the artist is working within a strict sequential panel style it should be relatively straight forward. The more adventurous the illustration plan the more time the layout designer will need.
Hopefully as you say illustrators will finish at varying times to allow us to stagger the work. There will be a learning curve once we actually start on the layout. Unfortunately I was unable to meet with Zoe last week, due to not feeling well, but we plan to meet tomorrow evening to start our collaboration :)
Post a Comment