Thursday, August 11, 2011

Um Al Manakhel - Illustration Exploration 01 - Medium, Features, Clothing.


Illustration Exploration: Medium. Pencil: My first attempt at creating the characters features and expression. Later decided to try my hand at Digital illustration as my approach involved a more graphic novel feel; at the end of this process I hope to achieve a cleaner, more vibrant result. Features. To show envy/anger, innocence/tolerance. I have been studying expressions to apply them to the key characters in the story. And the range for every character, since it shows their thought/personality/nature. Clothing. I've been hesitant at illustrating their outfits/costumes, because of the variety involved in terms of the arabic dress/outfit, every region has it's own clothing. So for now I'm just working to keep it simple/general yet portray the characters' modesty, age, exuberance etc. through their clothing.


2 comments:

Patty said...

Hi Reem--Thanks for posting!

Did you post these sketches before? I feel like I've seen them before, but I couldn't find them on the blog.

I like the level of detail and the realism of the work you posted, but you might be making more work for yourself than you need to. The audience for this book is kids in the 8-12 age range. For this audience, I think your art can be less realistic and more cartoonish and whimsical. If you move to a more comic style I think it will let you use exaggeration to express anger, envy, etc.

Also, your story is a bit absurd, and it's funny (the favored girl taking the women's instructions literally has a lot of comic potential) and I'm not sure a realistic approach will convey the humor of the story as well as something more cartoonish.

Working with more general dress is a good idea, I think. These stories have so many influences, and have no sole origin, so a general dress that evokes the region is probably best.

Reem said...

Hello Patty, Yes, I've shown the pencil sketches to you personally.

Realism is what comes naturally to me but I will work on a more comic & exaggerated, less realistic feel - now knowing the audience.

Thank you for the feedback!