As I've mentioned before, Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection, is an anthology very much like the anthology we're creating.
National Public Radio in the US featured this book and a video presentation of one of the stories.
Please take a moment and check out the NRP feature and video. The address is below the photo.
Paste this address into your browser:
http://www.npr.org/2010/06/06/127483926/native-american-folk-tales-take-a-graphic-turn
And again, I remind everyone that there are copies of this book in our work area. I think it's important that everyone has a look at this anthology. We can learn much about what to do, and not do, with our own anthology of folk tales.

2 comments:
Hi Patty,
I really enjoyed watching the video. It has interesting illustration. I particularly liked the scene divisions: three panels but with different field of depth. The scene where the turkeys are dancing and below are three boxes that show close up of their actions with the cat is pretty lively. Also i have noticed a change of font for different characters and all of them have a hand written touch just like the illustration quality. Even having different bright color backgrounds for different panels on one spread helps with the mood and intensity of the action in that particular panel.
I also want to request if there is a story I could illustrate as well. I want to give it a try :)
Hi Khadija! Excellent observations!
I really like the use of panels to break the action down and also show it close-up. This technique can really heighten the sense of the action, much in the same way that slow-motion in movies slows the action while also exaggerating the intensity and complexity of the action.
The use of different fonts is a great way to give different characters different voices, personality and traits. The font can tell the reader a lot about who the character is. Even though hand lettering is a huge amount of work, almost no one use computers to letter. Artists continue to hand letter because lettering is a visual element, it's part of the art effect, as well as being readable text.
I like the use of color in this story, too. As you noted, it really helps to establish tone and mood.
And, yes! You can definitely have a story! I'll post a couple stories on the blog as soon as I can, and you can pick what you'd like to do.
As I wrote on the previous post--we're on the hunt for stories, so if know of any, or know anyone who may know stories, let us know!
Post a Comment