Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Jouha Counting the Donkeys




Hi Everyone,


I wanted to post the first draft of the layout of "Jouha Counting the Donkeys".


Thanks to Abdulla's clear layout and style a lot has already been determined. I colour corrected the scans and spent quite some time in photoshop touching up areas on each page where the scanner had left lines running through the images and pink tinged edges. I did rescale certain elements- some of the illustrations outside of the frames.


I strayed away from the original layout guides and margins, as we had established a system that had a wider margin in the center fold. With such a structured illustration, I felt that it looked a little off balance, so I stuck to even margins all the way around, but can always readdress this issue based on feedback.


I haven't touched the cover yet, as after the discussion at the end of today's meeting about having similar covers for each story to enable them to work with a die-cut box, I think there is more work to be done on the general structure of the covers first.


I also, as you can see, didn't venture into Pagination and Titling yet. However, the first part is done and our groups very first story is coming to fruition!!


Felicity

6 comments:

Felicity said...

Sorry all the images posted backwards, so it starts with the last page! Doh! I also didn't realize that it wouldn't show the page boundary so that throws off discussions of the margins a bit.

Patty said...

Look great, Felicity! It's exciting to see a story near its final form! Thanks so much for taking this on.

This doesn't relate to your work directly, but is a general concern: Abdulla used Vicki Bleick's scanner in the library, because to my knowledge, she has the best scanner in the school. Still, it seems like the scanned image quality isn't great. So, does anyone know if there is a better scanner in the school, or if there is some place in Doha that does professional quality scanning?

Felicity said...

I think the scan quality is actually pretty good overall. I mean there was some scanning noise to address but I think that is going to be present no matter what type of scanner is used, and it is not insurmountable as it can be fixed in photoshop, time consuming but fixable. Also these images have been compressed, but I can swing by and show you the originals too.

Patty said...

Thanks, Felicity. It'd be great to see the original.

On my screen your version seems more yellowish. In the page where Jouha looks behind a rock, tree, etc. his face seems more yellow than in the scan I uploaded, and the sky is blue in my scan, but white in yours. All this to say that this blog is really useful in so many ways, but for looking at colors/hues, face to face will work much better. Still, it's really exciting to see a story nearing completion.

I'm going to ask Abdulla for a version of this story with no text and empty speech bubbles so that Dr. Al Mohannadi can create the Arabic version. How do you think the lay out process will be impacted when the story goes from right to left to left to right?

Felicity said...

Patty I can come by and show you the colours.

In terms of asking Abdulla for the images without bubbles, this is something we will handle on the layout team. If Dr.Al Mohannadi can provide you with the translations corresponding to the Latin, then Abdulla, could hand draw them on plain paper and I can digitally drop them in. I believe Abdulla hand penned the text onto the original drawings.

I think rearranging the story digitally from left to right to right to left shouldn't be too big a problem.

Patty said...

That's great to know, Felicity. We have definitely hit the limits about what I know about this area of the project. I'll ask Dr. Al Mohannadi to translate Abdulla's text into Gulf Arabic, and then he can do the lettering.

Thanks so much for all your work on this!