The Bird and the Lion
Collected by Huda Nehad
Edited by Patty Paine
Illustrated by Khloud
A long, long time ago, Sara was walking through the woods on the way to her Aunt Um-Abdullah’s house. Her stepmother sent her to deliver a letter to her Aunt. On the way, she saw a little bird that had fallen out of its nest. Even though it was getting late, Sara climbed the tree and put the baby bird back in its nest.
Sara continued on her way until suddenly she saw a huge lion with its paw stuck in a trap. Sara stopped to help the lion.
The lion asked, “Why would you want to help me? You know that I could eat you, don’t you?”
Sara replied, “Yes, lion, I know you could eat me, but I want to do good deeds so that God, and my stepmother will be happy with me.”
Sara freed the lion’s paw from the trap.
The lion was moved by Sara’s words and her good deed. He asked her where she was going. She told him that her stepmother has asked her to deliver a letter to her Aunt Um-Abdullah’s house.
The lion said, “May God be at your side, and if you are ever in any trouble and need help just call for me.”
Sara thanked the lion and continued to her Aunt’s house. When Sara arrived at her Aunt’s house her Aunt took one look at her and told her to clean her house. Sara stayed a whole week cleaning and cooking for her Aunt. The whole time Sara kept a smile on her face.
At the end of the week, the Aunt took the letter from Sara and tore it to shreds without reading it. She told Sara “I have tested you since I first heard that your stepmother sent you to me. The first test was when I disguised myself as a baby bird that had fallen from its nest. Then I disguised myself as a fierce lion. Then when you arrived I made you work for me for a week. Yet despite all these tests you were the sweetest, most well behaved girl I have ever met. Your Aunt’s letter was an order for me to kill you, but I cannot. Instead, I am giving you gold and jewels, a magic carpet to carry you home, and beautiful new clothes.” Sara smiled and with tears of joy running down her face she hugged Um-Abdulla and thanked her for her kindness.
When Sara’s stepmother saw her return in new clothes riding on a magic carpet carrying jewels and gold she became jealous. She decided to send her own daughter Zainab to Um-Abdulla’s house so she too would be rewarded. Zainab set off for her Aunt’s house. She ignored the baby bird, and when the lion asked for her mercy to help free its paw from the trap she said, “I don’t have time for you. I’m going to Um-Abdulla’s house for gold, jewels, a magic carpet and new clothes. I don’t care what happens to you.”
When Zainab arrived at her Aunt’s house her Aunt asked her to clean the house, but Zeinab said “Oh, no! I am only here for the gold, jewels, magic carpet and new clothes. I’ll send Sara back to work for you. Give me the stuff now!”
Um-Abdullah replied, “I tested you and you failed every test! First I disguised myself as a baby bird and you ignored me. Then I disguised myself as a lion whose paw was stuck in a trap but you had no time to help me. Then I asked you to work for me, but you refused. Now you must be punished!”
Um-Abdullah cursed Zainab and turned her into a donkey. Zainab galloped home to her mother, honking the whole way.

No comments:
Post a Comment