

Hi guys, put together the rough version of two pages. Still many scenes to do of course but while that's going on I'm trying to figure out how it will all come together.
The scenes shown here are my witch running of to get her baskets for collecting dates, while the goat sneaks off (and onto the next frame) to the palm tree grove.
On the next page, the witch comes back into the picture carrying her giant baskets. From the treetop, the goat throws unripe dates at her. The witch thinks it's the from the birds hidden in the leaves and doesn't see that it's really from the goat. (The goats legs are shown at the top of the frame as it's being carried off by birds to safety.)
I'm not entirely satisfied with the drawings themselves but I'll refine them later. I'm trying to catch up by story boarding whilst putting the scenes into the frames and pages themselves so they're going to look fairly rough for a little while longer. I'm hoping in the end to use watercolor along with the ink lines.
More to come, best :D
3 comments:
Looks great, Mariam! I really like what you're doing with your panels--varying the size, using long panels to show a static scene, splitting panels to show action, and also having a single page panel with inset panels. I also like how you're rendering motion, and using exaggeration as a form of text.
I definitely think the lettering for the witch, Hadeed and the narrator should be different. The lettering can convey something elemental about each.
I know what you posted is a draft, but think about your gutters--the space between your panels. I like how some images bleeding through the gutter, that works well when you have tight action, but think about having larger gutters when your panels move from one setting to the next. The reader "fills in" the gutter as they interact with sequential art, so a bit more space is needed when the scene changes, or the action isn't as tight.
Again, it's looking REALLY good, can't wait to see what's next!
Hey Patty,
Thanks for the feedback - definitely great points. Hopefully we'll see improvement in the next batch.
:D
Drawings are developing really well, Mariam. I agree with Patty about how you've manipulated the panels in relation to the action. Very well done. The variety is pleasing to the eye, and it carries the action along nicely (i.e. at an appropriate pace relative to what is transpiring in each scene). Keep going!
Post a Comment