Monday, May 28, 2012

Hamda and the Fairy Fish: WIP





I'm still trying to decide whether I want to have it digital, nondigital or a combination of both..
Your feedback is highly appreciated at this point. :)
Fatma.

3 comments:

Patty said...

This is wonderful, Fatma! I'll have to think about the digital/non-digital/combo question--I'll get back to you on that. For now, just wow!!

Michael Hersrud said...

I really like these directions! I also like the idea of combining digital and non-digital elements. Maybe there is a 'logic' or system you can use... for example the not so important elements are non-digital but the main parts are digital? Or hair is non-digital? Just a thought. I like the starfish and seashells in your sketchbook.

Another thought...
I love your pen & ink non-digital drawings that I have come across on your blog... it's a very fresh aesthetic. To carry that over into the book illustrations... maybe you can borrow from those techniques (like you already have) but then alter the non-digital elements digitally... like what would happen if you use a blue ballpoint pen to draw, the scan but then alter the color digital or inverse it so the pen marks become white on a black or colored back ground? Or maybe a drastic scale change or reduction?

I bring this up... because then the digital and non-digital illustration be start coming together a bit more? It could be really interesting, for example, so take all the ballpoint pen hash marks (like in the hair) and make a few rows smaller than 'normal' and a few rows 'larger' or shift the color...

Anyway... just some thoughts. Not sure if any of them will work... just trying to spark some thoughts.

Overall... looks great and visually interesting.

Fatma Al-Remaihi said...

Thank you for the reply.

I have been having a hard time deciding whether to go digital or non-digital, I still am. For me digital is easier and faster but boring in a way because of the lack of skill. I seem to reach the same dead end every time i try to make something. But non-digital drawing is much more fun specially with a ballpoint pen.
I am almost done with the storyboarding and sketching.

Those are really valid points, i'll try some and i'll share them up here soon. :)