Here's a story that was collected by a Qatar University student. It has been edited:
The Thieves and the Tree Trunk
Setting:
A popular café in Doha, Qatar in the pre-oil era. Captain Abdulrahman, and his friend, Captain Musaed bin Abdullah are in the café drinking coffee and talking.
Abdulrahman: Abo Abdullah, would you like to travel with me to India?
Musaed: I am sorry Captain Abdulrahman my friend, but I have a meeting with Kuwaiti traders, God willing.
Abdulrahman: I hope your meeting goes well. Do you want anything from India?
Musaed: I only wish for you to return safely.
Abdulrahman: God bless you friend.
Musaed: How long will you be gone?
Abdulrahman: About two weeks. I’ll be meeting traders from Bombay and Calcutta.
As the friends chatted and played a traditional game [research what traditional game might have been played] two thieves were listening to their conversation without Abdulrahman and Musaed knowing.
First Thief: Did you hear what I heard?
Second Thief: Yes, I did!
First Thief: When Abdulrahman leaves for India will rob his house.
They both laugh evilly.
Setting: Captain Abdulrahman’s house. Abdulrahman and his wife Fatima are discussing his trip.
Fatima: How can you leave me alone for so long? My parents are away on a pilgrimage, who will I turn to for help? I am a just soft, weak woman. Please do not leave me alone.
Abdulrahman: You are not alone, our daughter Dana is with you.
Fatima: But the house will be without a man, and I am afraid of thieves!
Abdulrahman: Don’t worry Fatima, I can be her,e and in India at the same time.
Fatima: What are you talking about? How can you be here and in India at the same time?
Abdulrahaman: (Lauging) Come to the yard with me and I will show you.
Abdulrahman leads Fatima to an old tree trunk standing in the middle of the yard.
Abdulrahman: Fatima, do you see this tree trunk?
Fatima: Yes, of course I see it.
Abdulrahman: This is the man of the house until my return. This tree trunk will protect you.
Fatima: This tree trunk? How will this old tree trunk protect me?
Abdulrahman: Bring my ghutra and thob and I will show you.
Fatima brings the clothing. Abdulrahman puts the thobe and ghutra on the tree trunk.
Abdulrahman: There! If thieves come they will think there is a man standing in the yard and they will stay away.
Fatima: Bless you husband, come back safely from your travels.
Setting: It is night, Abdulrahman has left for India. The thieves are at the wall around Abdulrahman’s house. The first thief is peeking through a hole in the wall.
First Thief: Are you sure he has left?
Second Thief: Yes, I am positive. He is gone!
First Thief: Then tell me, how can be gone and also be standing in his yard?
The second thief pushes the first thief aside and looks through the hole.
Second Thief: How can this be? His trip must have been delayed. We will come back tomorrow.
The thieves go to Abdulrahman’s house every night for 2 weeks. Every night they see him standing in the yard so they leave.
Setting: The vegetable souq. Fatima is talking to her friend Mariam while shopping for vegetables. The thieves are lurking nearby and listen in on the conversation.
Mariam: Fatima, how are you not afraid with your husband so far away?
Fatima: My husband is very clever. He dressed a tree trunk in a thobe and ghutra so thieves would believe that there is a man standing in the yard.
Mariam: Your husband truly is a wise man!
First Thief: Did you hear that!? We have been fooled by a tree trunk!
Second Thief: We’ll the trick ends now!
Setting: The next night. The Thieves are standing next to the tree trunk.
First Thief: Well, hello man of the house. What do you have to say for yourself now?
Second Thief: You are not so scary now, are you Mr. Tree Trunk?
The thieves start kicking and hitting the tree trunk, laughing and carrying on.
Abdulrahman runs into the yard and begins to beat the thieves.
First Thief: You! What are you doing here!?
Abdulrahman: I returned this morning. It seems my trunk man did his job!
Abdulrahman subdues the thieves and he and Fatima tie them up. Their daughter Dana looks on with pride.
Story transcribed and translated by Aisha Al Obaidli, Qatar University
Edited by Patty Paine
No comments:
Post a Comment